Friday, September 18, 2009

Broken Legs Are No Fun!

Last night Collin was playing in the kitchen as I went to sit down in the living room with Brody, and I heard "that cry" that I had never heard. The cry of extreme pain. I ran around the corner to the kitchen and saw Collin lying on a blanket on his back. As I picked him up he was saying ouchie, and I thought he had re injured his foot that he fractured last Saturday (under the pillow in the picture). He then started grabbing at his right leg, and I noticed a HUGE bump on his shin. Thankfully, my fab mother-in-law was available (Jeff was working, unable to answer my frantic calls), and came down to watch the other kiddos while me and Collin took a trip to the emergency room. We ended up splinting it for the drive with a blanket and duct tape. We are in the middle of moving, and all key broken bone, splint items are already moved!

The doctors and nurses were great! They made a special point to get him a ball (which he loves), and bubbles! He ended up with a broken tibia, and we will have it casted next week. Jeff said I could get him a pink cast, but I think Collin would hold it against me when he gets older :)

The hospital took great care of us to ensure he was a comfortable as possible. Jeff ended up getting off work and making it to the hospital as we were being discharged.

I think I handled my first broken (rush to the emergency room) bone pretty well! I only cried on the way home for a few seconds! Everything was happening way to fast to freak out.

I will definantely post again after he gets his cast next week!

Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Melissa said...

And so it begins. :( Don't you hate that painful cry, when you know it's broken. I'm so sorry! I know EXACTLY how you feel! It's so new to you and I, and something new to accept. Thank goodness it only lasts for 6 weeks huh. Good luck with things & I'll call you.

Ben and Darci said...

Oh man what a bummer. Poor little guy :( But I bet he is a tough little kid too. Hope your move is going okay (or done with!) You know if you haven't already gotten moved we can come help with lifting or whatever.

Jessica said...

Awwww Brittany I am SO SORRY that he broke his leg. I was talking to Karen the other night and saying that she (Karen) hopefully will be a great resource for you and Melissa since she has experienced so many broken bones with her kids. I know that you are a amazing mom and your kids are in wonderful hands with you and Jeff. On a good note he does look so cute even with a cast on! :) Love you.

Kristi said...

Oh man. Poor kid. He's a cutie in his cast! Where are you guys moving to?